Tuesday, January 10, 2012

MBTI indicator

I am a huge fan of Carl Jung's work and before beginning practicum had a small bit of knowledge base for the Myers Briggs Type Indicator.  I learned while working on my graduate coursework that the MBTI, while created by Isabelle Briggs Myers and her mother Katharine Briggs, the actual methodology drew from Carl Jung's theories.  There is more on the creation of the MBTI here and how the actual indicator came to be what it is today.

During my undergraduate work I had taken a quick version of the MBTI that one of the professors gave to my class.  After filling out this 25 question survey, I was given the INFP typology.  Liking the indicator and how it could help you to better understand people, I bought a small book that gave a basic introduction on the MBTI. The book went onto my bookshelf and I still have it today.

At this beginning point in my practicum my site supervisor uses MBTI typologies quite frequently in his practice.    It occurred to me in the 14 years since I took the original questionnaire that my typology may have changed.  There's a very user friendly guide to the Myer's Briggs located here that gives the basics on the 16 different typologies.  Dr. Fly had at one point asked me if I knew what type I was, and I had replied that it had been INFP.  Several life influencing things had happened to me since I'd taken that first test and I was fairly certain that my typology or the level of it may have changed.  For the first time I got to take the actual MBTI, which was very different from the smaller version I'd originally taken, and my appreciation for this indicator has grown.

The MBTI is broken down into three different sections.  It is very subjective and there are no wrong answers.  Unsurprisingly to me, my typology had shifted.  I am now a very clear IN with moderate points for FJ.  The experiences attained through the military and motherhood have led me to include much more planning and forethought in my daily activities than when I had previously taken the shorter MBTI version.  I'm excited to see how this indicator can be used to help understand and interact with clients.

No comments:

Post a Comment